Chicken Tava (Tavuk Tava)

I learned this recipe from my mother. It's very simple but also delicious. When I cook chicken, I usually remove all the skin and fat. However, since this recipe does not require any sauce or water, to keep the chicken moist, I am leaving the skin on. You can always remove it before eating. I will post another version of chicken tava (with potatoes) another time. Tava means a pan. So basically, it is called 'pan chicken' :) Enjoy...

1 whole chicken
3 tbsp. thyme
5-6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp. of red pepper paste (available at Middle Eastern grocery stores)
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Cut up chicken into pieces. Rub chicken pieces with salt. Add black pepper, garlic, thyme, red pepper paste and olive oil. Mix well so that the paste is all over the chicken. Cover pan (Teflon preferred) and bring heat to low. Cook on low for about 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken pieces are tender.

Labels: