Celery Root (Kereviz Kökü)

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope that every one had a nice holiday season. Even though, I had planned to start the New Year with a dessert recipe on my blog, I just did not have the time to make a dessert or any type of dish for that matter. My family was visiting from Turkey and I spent precious time with my family. Unfortunately, I did not get to cook together with my mom much and write down some of her favorite recipes since we concentrated on family time and travels when I was off. When I was working, it was wonderful to find delicious Turkish food ready for me at home. Despite the fact that I love cooking, nothing beats home cooked meals by my mom.

I posted some of my previously prepared posts while I was away, but unfortunately, I do not have many unpublished recipes left. This celery root recipe was also written last year and I thought it is a good time to publish it. I will start cooking again (hopefully soon) for the sake of my blog.

Although, it is not my favorite root vegetable, celery root is extremely light and healthy. This vegetable is commonly used for therapeutic purposes against a number of diseases around the world.

Celery root is very popular in Turkey and this recipe was inspired from ‘Anatolian Feast’ Turkish Cookbook which is my favorite cookbook. Celery root can be found easily in markets during the winter season. This dish is perfect as a side dish. Enjoy.

1 celery root (peeled and sliced)
1 small onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (diced)
2 carrots (diced)
1 large tomato (diced)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp cumin
½ tbsp chopped fresh dill
½ lemon juice or lime juice
½ tsp salt
1 cup water
Fresh dill for garnish

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Saute onions and garlic. Add carrots and then tomatoes. Spice up the ingredients with cumin and dill. Add salt and sauté until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.

Take one slice of the celery root and place a few tablespoons of stuffing on top.

Place another slice of celery root on top of the stuffing and repeat the same process until all the stuffing and celery root slices are used up.


Place the stuffed celery root in a pan and add the water. Squeeze ¼ of a lemon on top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook covered for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with fresh dill and serve at room temperature.

Note: If you desire, you may pour 2-3 tbsp olive oil on the celery root slices prior to cooking.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Labels: , ,