Yogurt with Spinach (Ispanaklı Cacık)


One day while looking through my fridge and figuring out the inventory, I noticed that I had 2 bunches of fresh spinach that I had intended to make börek with but still were sitting there. I did not find the time to make an elaborate meal such as börek, so I decided to find a simpler use before they went bad. They still looked good and fresh but still, I prefer cooking vegetables very soon after they’re purchased. I had some store-bought organic plain yogurt on hand which I am not fond of using. I used to make yogurt weekly because I think it is the best. I have tried probably most of the organic yogurt brands on the market, but nothing beats the yogurt made at home. When things get busy it is not always convenient to make yogurt at home, so I had to go with what was available to me that day.  In any case, I decided to empty some of the yogurt containers on hand in a bowl and make a ‘cacık’ with spinach instead of the traditional ingredient of cucumber. It turned out very good actually. It’s so quick to make and it is very refreshing especially during the summer months. We enjoyed it and hope that you enjoy it too.

2 bunches fresh spinach (approximately 2 lbs)
6 cups plain yogurt
3-4 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp salt

Steam the spinach for a couple minutes until it is wilted. Remove from pot and run under cold water. Squeeze the excess water with both hands. Coarsely chop the spinach and place in a large bowl.

Crush the garlic with a garlic presser or chop very finely. Add to the spinach. Add yogurt, mint and salt and mix until all ingredients become slightly runny.

Enjoy cool with your favorite meal or as an afternoon snack.

Labels: , ,