Grilled Top Sirloin Steaks (Izgara Bonfile)

This recipe was inspired during one of our visits to Canadian Rocky Mountains with my husband while we explore Canada, our temporary residence. We never barbeque in Houston, however barbequing with a view of beautiful mountains covered with snow, glaring during the night is fantastic. We loved this experience so much that we went back again the following weekend to B.C. and enjoyed the hot springs, the nature and of course the barbeque.

With collaborative effort, we marinated the meat, chicken and vegetables and grilled them. I prepared the meat and veggies and Umit grilled them to perfection. Actually, this was a good experience for him since he had not grilled before either.

The grilled meat and vegetables were extremely delicious and we ended up making sandwiches and dürüm which is rolled flat thin bread with meat and onion salad inside (we added grilled veggies too) with the leftovers. The vegetables were also marinated prior to being grilled. Asparagus, green onions, tomatoes, red and green peppers and mushrooms were sprinkled with salt, pepper and dried oregano and drizzled with olive oil and vinegar. They tasted amazing!

Before we get to the recipe, I would like to mention that I have finally found a great Mediterranean store that carries all kinds of Turkish/Mediterranean ingredients. I have found even Turkish brands. The reason I am mentioning this is because more than a few of my Canadian readers have asked me where to find certain ingredients in Calgary. I do not like to advertise any stores or products on my blog (unless it’s non-profit), however I do give names when people specifically e-mail me for them. The store I found is owned by a half Iranian and half Azerbaijani who was very welcoming and friendly in addition to his good products. To make it more interesting, he could also speak Turkish at good level. He offered us complimentary dessert when we were there. The store is very close to where we live, so it is convenient for us.

Today, I am sharing the grilled top sirloin steak recipe and the grilled chicken recipe will follow in the next post.

4 top sirloin steaks
½ garlic clove (chopped finely)
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vinegar
½ tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp sea salt


Place steaks in a tray. Stab 4-5 parts of the steak with a sharp knife on both sides in order to allow the marinade to seep in. This step is optional.

Mix all the ingredients except the steaks in a bowl to prepare the marinade.


Place the steaks in the marinade and distribute the marinade evenly on all sides.



Refrigerate for 5 hours. Heat an outdoor grill or oven broiler. Cook the steaks 10-15 minutes on each side for medium well.


Add to Technorati Favorites

Labels: